1. M. Ürgen , A. F. Çakır , A. Erdemir, Advanced Tribological Coatings for Automotive Applications. International Conference of Tribological Coatings (ICTC) - Energy 1, 3 (2004).
2. L. Abdulqadir et al., Contemporary challenges of soot build-up in IC engine and their tribological implications. Tribol – Mat. Surf. Interfaces 12, 115 (2018).
3. T. Hu et al., Impact of fuel injection on dilution of engine crankcase oil for turbocharged gasoline direct-injection engines. SAE Int. J. Engines 8, 1107 (2015).
4. S. Zzeyani, M. Mikou, J. Naja, Physicochemical Characterization of the Synthetic Lubricating Oils Degradation under the Effect of Vehicle Engine Operation. Eurasian J. Anal. Chem. 13, 4 (2018).
5. Y. Wen et al., “The impact of injector deposits on spray and particulate emission of advanced gasoline direct injection vehicle” 0148-7191 (SAE Technical Paper, 2016).
6. W. Heinke et al., Evaluation of PVD nitride coatings, using impact, scratch and Rockwell-C adhesion tests. Thin Solid Films 270, 431 (1995).
7. A. Erdemir, K. Holmberg, in Coating Technology for Vehicle Applications. (Springer, 2015), pp. 1-23.
8. M. L. McConnell et al., The effect of thermal treatments on the tribological properties of PVD hard coatings. Surf. Coat. Techn. 116-119, 1133 (1999).
9. B. Navinšek, P. Panjan, I. Milošev, PVD coatings as an environmentally clean alternative to electroplating and electroless processes. Surf. Coat. Techn. 116-119, 476 (1999).
10. E. Lugscheider, K. Bobzin, The influence on surface free energy of PVD-coatings. Surf. Coat. Techn. 142-144, 755 (2001).
11. B. Prakash, C. Ftikos, J. P. Celis, Fretting wear behavior of PVD TiB2 coatings. Surf. Coat. Techn. 154, 182 (2002).
12. K. Bobzin et al., High-performance chromium aluminium nitride PVD coatings on roller bearings. Surf. Coat. Techn. 188-189, 649 (2004).
13. G. S. Fox-Rabinovich et al., Nano-crystalline filtered arc deposited (FAD) TiAlN PVD coatings for high-speed machining applications. Surf. Coat. Techn. 177-178, 800 (2004).
14. M. Kano, Diamond-like carbon coating applied to automotive engine components. Tribol. Online 9, 135 (2014).
15. J. Lawal et al., Mechanical properties and abrasive wear behaviour of Al-based PVD amorphous/nanostructured coatings. Surf. Coat. Techn. 310, 59 (2017).
16. S. C. Cha, A. Erdemir, Coating technology for vehicle applications. (Springer, 2015).
17. Y. Hsu et al., Anti-Sticking Properties of PVD CrWNx, CrOx and ZrOx Coatings on Medical Electrode Application. Defect Diffus. Forum 297, 656 (2010).
18. M. Pellizzari, High temperature wear and friction behaviour of nitrided, PVD-duplex and CVD coated tool steel against 6082 Al alloy. Wear 271, 2089 (2011).
19. F. Silva, R. Martinho, A. Baptista, Characterization of laboratory and industrial CrN/CrCN/diamond-like carbon coatings. Thin Solid Films 550, 278 (2014).
20. K. Holmberg et al., Global energy consumption due to friction in trucks and buses. Tribol. Int. 78, 94 (2014).
21. Q. Yang, R. McKellar, Nanolayered CrAlTiN and multilayered CrAlTiN–AlTiN coatings for solid particle erosion protection. Tribol. Int. 83, 12 (2015).
22. W. Huang et al., Investigation of the tribological and biomechanical properties of CrAlTiN and CrN/NbN coatings on SST 304. Ceram. Int. 43, 7992 (2017).
23. L. Wang, X. Nie, Effect of annealing temperature on tribological properties and material transfer phenomena of CrN and CrAlN coatings. J. Mater. Eng. Perform 23, 560 (2014).
24. S. Wan et al., Tribological performance of CrN and CrN/GLC coated components for automotive engine applications. J. Alloy. Comp. 695, 433 (2017).
25. S. Naghibi et al., Application of Taguchi method for characterization of corrosion behavior of TiO2 coating prepared by sol‐gel dipping technique. Int. J. Appl. Ceram. Tec. 11, 901 (2014).
26. A. N. Ranade et al., Relationship between hardness and fracture toughness in Ti–TiB2 nanocomposite coatings. Surf. Coat. Techn. 213, 26 (2012).
27. J. Stallard, D. G. Teer, A study of the tribological behaviour of CrN, Graphit-iC and Dymon-iC coatings under oil lubrication. Surf. Coat. Techn. 188–189, 525 (2004).
28. K. Schreer et al., Analysis of Aluminum and Steel Pistons—Comparison of Friction, Piston Temperature, and Combustion. J. Eng. Gas Turb. Power 136, 101506 (2014).
29. Owens D. K. , Wendt R. C., Estimation of the surface free energy of polymers. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 13, 1741 (1969).
30. H. Jehn, G. Reiners, N. S. (Eds.), DIN Fachbericht 39, Characterisierung dunner Schichten. DIN Fachbericht 39 (Beuth verlag, Berlin, 1993).
31. G. S. Fox-Rabinovich et al., The role of chromium in protective alumina scale formation during the oxidation of ternary TiAlCr alloys in air. Intermetallics 12, 165 (2004).
32. L. Bai et al., Study on thermal stability of CrTiAlN coating for dry drilling. Surf. Coat. Techn. 201, 5257 (2007).